Understanding how BMPs are calculated will help the user maximize their load reductions. The following topics are addressed in Section 6 Best Management Practices of the Model Documentation: BMP types, BMP groups and sequence of calculation, overlapping and mutually exclusive BMPs, calculation steps with example calculations, and tips for maximizing load reductions.
Each BMP is developed following a Protocol that was approved by the Chesapeake Bay Program Partnership. The Protocol and detailed reports for each BMP are available at the links below. A quick reference guide for BMPs provides general information about BMPs and how they function within the Chesapeake Bay Program reporting and modeling structure. This Guide provides a single place to learn key information about BMPs.
- Protocol for the Development, Review, and Approval of Loading and Effectiveness Estimates for Nutrient and Sediment Controls in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed Model.
- Expert Panel reports. Click on the publications tab for published reports.
- Pasture Management/Grazing Report
- Simpson Weammert-Lane 2009 Report with detailed documentation of many BMPs.
- BMP Reference Guide (This is only for a few CAST BMPs. View this Source Data file to see the full listing on the BMP tab.)
- Manure BMP Fast Facts
- Manure Treatment Techologies Fast FAQs
Stream Restoration Protocols 2 and 3-Legacy Sediment and Raising the Streambed
We are providing a calculator to assist with determining the load reduced for the Stream Restoration Protocol 3. This calculator provides the pounds of TN, TP, and TSS with inputs provided by you from the flow duration curves, baseflow discharge, channel discharge, and discharge at the maximum treatable floodplain depth. You can then enter these pounds into your scenario using Add BMPs or uploading a file.
NRCS Practice Names and Codes
A crosswalk of NRCS practice names and codes to the CAST BMP name may be helpful in selecting the CAST BMP that best represents your management action.